2009年5月14日木曜日

Greetings

 Usually, we, Japanese people exchange different greetings in accordance with time; morning, afternoon and night. Of course, the politeness depends on who we greet to.


 Also, it is uncommon for us to hug and kiss when they meet for the first time.
People seem to avoid even shaking hands.
It is said that old people in Japan were afraid that he or she might have weapons in his or her hands.

 Instead of shaking hands, we bow politely, which express gratitude, apologies and requests.
There are different ways of bowing depending on the situation.

 In my opinion, this is because to show the head, which is an important part of body means that 'I trust you'.
We sometimes bow even on the phone!

6 件のコメント:

  1. I agree with you. We don't shake hands. If we meet the first time, we will shake hands. However, we know each other well or so-so, we don't shake hands at all. The president often shakes hands when he go to another countries. Why?? They have seen each other many times. Are there some rule??? I don't know about that.
    I wonder about it a little.... Why??...
    I must serch about it.

    返信削除
  2. Chuck
    I read your blog!!
    I think so too. And I am interested in last sentence. We are often to do it. Your idea is great.

    返信削除
  3. Thank you for your comments!

    < Phillippoinon san

    I am also so wondering why presidents tend to shake hands. In my opinion, they just want to show the frendliness to people in all over the world.


    < carp san

    Thanks a lot. It is funny to see people bowing even on the phone, isn't it?
    They are very polite!

    返信削除
  4. Hi, Chuck!!!
    The last sentence was very interesting.
    I may do that...
    How about you?

    返信削除
  5. HEY CHUCK :)
    I'VE LEARNED A LOT FROM IT.
    CHEERS!

    返信削除
  6. Thanks for your comments, everyone!

    < Hi BERRY san,

    I may sometimes do that unconsciously as well! Foreigners must think that it is strange, musn't they?


    < Hi BECKY,
    Thanks for your comment!
    I am glad to hear that!

    返信削除